Super Smudger Sends Price Packing – International Darts Open Day 2 Roundup
Back to back defending champion Gerwyn Price will not achieve the three-peat in Riesa.
The Iceman let a 4-0 lead slip to Ross Smith in Saturday’s evening session to fall to just his third loss in 26 matches.
The defeat is also his first loss in Riesa in 3 years, after winning the title on the last two outings.
Elsewhere, day two of the International Darts Open saw
- Danny Noppert and Franz Roetsch defeat seeds with 103 averages.
- Max Hopp sees off last weeks winner Jose de Sousa.
- Andy Hamilton all but qualifies for the European Championship Finals
- Dave Chisnall produces top average of the day to overcome Ron Meulenkamp (104.43)
SEEDS STRUGGLE ON DAY 2
High Profile seeds were the casualty of the day as the aforementioned Price was joined by Ian White, Daryl Gurney and last weeks champion Jose De Sousa.
Former World Champions Adrian Lewis, Rob Cross and Stephen Bunting also all failed to progress to Sunday’s action.
Danny Noppert and Franz Roetsch both produced fine displays to defeat Adrian Lewis and Rob Cross respectively.
The Dutchman defeated Jackpot for the second time in 2 weeks with another classy display. However, it is Franz Roetsch that will have grabbed the attention of more.
The German, on his Euro Tour debut, already accounted for The History Maker, Brendan Dolan yesterday.
But he went one better as he added 10 points to his average, and defeat the reigning European Champion in Rob Cross.
Scott Baker edged past Daryl Gurney in today’s afternoon session. Neither player were at their best, but the Mod won’t mind as he sets up a meeting with Danny Noppert.
The last 3 games all saw seeds depart, as Price was followed by Jose de Sousa, and in turn, Ian White.
Young German star Max Hopp was superb in his classy 6-3 victory over the special one.
Hopp got off to a flying start, hitting 4 180’s in the opening 2 legs on his way to back to back 11 darters. The average didn’t quite stay up in the stars, but it was a great performance nonetheless and is rewarded with a showdown with Ross Smith.
Jesus Noguera is the final seed conqueror of the day. The Spaniard averaged 93 exactly to see off 3rd seed Ian White. A man who many would have fancied to be in contention for the title in Riesa.
In doing so, not only has he given himself a late chance to qualify for the European Championships, but has moved into a Provisional World Championship spot.
Rounding up the rest
- Michael van Gerwen was pushed all the way in his encounter with Madars Razma. The Latvian was frustrated after the game feeling he had chances to put away and under par world number one.
- James Wade and Jamie Hughes both did enough to progress to Sunday’s action. Both players will need to improve if they are to have any chance of winning the title.
- Andy Hamilton, in just his second game back from injury, defeated the also returning Stephen Bunting. The Bullet tested positive for Covid-19 and had to withdraw from last weeks action as well as the Grand Prix.
The defeat means Bunting can no longer qualify for the European Championships, but leaves Hamilton on the cusp of qualification in his first season since returning to the tour.
- Mensur Suljovic missed multiple match darts before getting over the line against Gabriel Clements. The Gentle has had a bit of a resurgence in form of late but will want to close out games much more efficiently moving forwards
- Krzysztoff Ratajski avenged his defeat to Martijn Kleermaker last week by defeating him 6-4
Day 2 Results
Jamie Hughes 6-4 Steve West
Danny Noppert 6-3 Adrian Lewis
Michael Smith 6-2 Martin Schindler
Joe Cullen 6-1 Robert Marijanovic
Scott Baker 6-3 Daryl Gurney
Dave Chisnall 6-3 Ron Meulenkamp
James Wade 6-3 Andreas Harrysson
Franz Roetzsch 6-3 Rob Cross
Krzysztof Ratajski 6-4 Martijn Kleermaker
Andy Hamilton 6-5 Stephen Bunting
Nathan Aspinall 6-5 Jason Lowe
Mensur Suljovic 6-4 Gabriel Clemens
Michael van Gerwen 6-4 Madars Razma
Ross Smith 6-5 Gerwyn Price
Max Hopp 6-3 Jose de Sousa
Jesus Noguera 6-3 Ian White
Round 3 Fixtures
Michael van Gerwen v Andy Hamilton
James Wade v Nathan Aspinall
Krzysztof Ratajski v Franz Roetzsch
Mensur Suljovic v Jamie Hughes
Ross Smith v Max Hopp
Dave Chisnall v Joe Cullen
Jesus Noguera v Michael Smith
Scott Baker v Danny Noppert